I occasionally get complaints from people I refuse / unfollow on social media. The fact is; I am not obliged to accept a connection request, and unfollowing someone doesn’t mean that we are not friends any more.
My general approach is; I accept requests from genuine connections only, and I follow genuinely interesting accounts only.
Here are the typical reasons I don’t accept or follow someone:
- Facebook: I accept family & friends
- Instagram: I follow my immediate family-like circle + music accounts
- LinkedIn: I accept people I did or will work with
- Twitter: I follow my immediate family-like circle + music + business accounts
Here are the typical reasons I unfriend/unfollow someone:
- I may have accepted your connection request temporarily, but if we don’t really know each other, I may unfriend you.
- If you are posting too frequently (flooding), I may unfollow you.
- If you are posting about subjects irrelevant to me (like politics, sports, cheesy quotes, etc), I may unfollow you.
- If every other post you make is a selfie, I may unfollow you because I already know what you look like.
Time is a limited resource, and connecting / following someone costs time. I recommend spending it wisely.