Why did I do that? Here is my subjective evaluation of both services.
YouTube Music advantages:
- Cost. I have a YouTube Premium membership already, which includes YouTube Music as well. Therefore, it is virtually free for me – unlike Spotify.
- Live / cover songs. Most of my bands play live or cover versions of songs – which are typically available on YouTube, but not on Spotify. It is really convenient to build playlists where live / cover / album records & videos can be mixed.
- Autoplay. I am using FlukeBox to build & listen to playlists where streams + local audio files are mixed. When I call a YouTube URL, it plays automatically. On Spotify, the song loads, but I must press play to listen. Seems small, but gets annoying over time.
- More public playlists
- Organizing personal playlists under folders
- Desktop app
- Seeing what friends are listening to
- Fun year end stats
- Listening to albums on any device
- Curated & community playlists
- Creating custom playlists
- Artist / song radio
- Auto-generated personal mixes
- Purposeful playlists; based on mood, etc.
- Dark mode
In my personal evaluation, advantages of YouTube Music outweigh advantages of Spotify.
Leave a Reply